Governor Terry McAuliffe announced this week a new task force geared towards promoting tourist spots for gay and lesbian couples. Since the same-sex marriage ban was lifted in Virginia late last year, the Governor wants to prove that Virginia is for all kinds of lovers. He appointed 21 people from around the Commonwealth for the task force.
Along with promoting tourism among same-sex couples and members of the LGBT community, the task force is also hoping to tackle the conservative mindset that has shadowed Virginia for years.
Governor’s LGBT Tourism Task Force for Virginia
- Barbara Cage of South Boston, Co-owner & Manager, Bistro1888
- Kevin Clay of Richmond, Principal, Big Spoon Agency
- Phil Crosby of Richmond, Managing Director, Richmond Triangle Players
- The Honorable Adam P. Ebbin of Alexandria, Member, Senate of Virginia
- Patrick Evans-Hylton of Norfolk, Food Journalist, Virginia Wine Lover Magazine
- Tammy Freeman of Prince William, Founder, Say I Do! LGBT Wedding Expo.
- Matt Gaffney of Rehobeth Beach, DE, President & CEO, Capital Region USA, Inc.
- Peter J. Goldin of Mechanicsville, Associate State Director, AARP
- Brad Kutner of Richmond, Editor, GayRVA
- Virginia Lamneck of Richmond, Programs Manager, Equality Virginia
- Jesse LaVancher of Richmond, Central & Northern Virginia Development Manager, Virginia Opera
- Jeffrey Marsh of Chicago, IL, Director of LGBT Marketing, Orbitz Worldwide
- Amy Sarah Marshall of Charlottesville, President, Charlottesville Pride Community Network
- Bruce Newton of Hampton, Group Sales & Visitor Center Manager, Hampton Convention & Visitors Bureau
- Katherine O’Donnell of Richmond, Vice President of Community Relations, Richmond Regional Tourism
- Robert G. Roman of Virginia Beach, Vice President & Co-owner, Decorum Furniture
- Jim Schuyler of Richmond, Executive Director, Virginia Community Action Partnership
- Stephanie Shaw of Richmond, Account Supervisor, The Martin Agency
- Michael Sutphin of Blacksburg, Member, Blacksburg Town Council; Board Member, Equality Virginia
- Michael Thorne-Begland of Richmond, Director, Brand and Trade Channel Integrity; Assistant General Counsel, Altria
- Bob Witeck of Arlington, President, Witeck Communications, Inc.